Պատմության Podcasts

Ռայսի համալսարան

Ռայսի համալսարան



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Ռայսի համալսարանը, որը հիմնված է Հյուսթոնում, Տեխաս, Միացյալ Նահանգների առաջատար հետազոտական ​​համալսարաններից է: Այն աշխարհում առաջին համալսարանն էր, որը ստեղծեց տիեզերական գիտության բաժին: ՆԱՍԱ -ի Johnsonոնսոնի տիեզերական կենտրոնը գտնվում է համալսարանի նվիրաբերած հողի վրա: Ռայսի համալսարանը նաև Տեխասի բժշկական կենտրոնի անդամ է, որն ամենամեծ բժշկական հաստատությունն է աշխարհում: Ռայսի համալսարանը ձևավորվել է Ուիլյամ Մարշ Ռայս անունով հարուստ քաղաքացու կողմից ձևավորված ինստիտուտից: 1891 թվականին նա իր ընկերների և իրավաբանի հետ կնքել էր Վիլյամ Մարշ Ռայսի անվան գրականության, գիտության և արվեստի զարգացման ինստիտուտը: Այնուամենայնիվ, ինստիտուտը պետք է ստեղծվեր նրա մահից հետո: 1900 թվականին նրա մահից և որոշ իրավական խոչընդոտներից հետո ինստիտուտի ստեղծման աշխատանքները սկսվեցին: Ռայսի ինստիտուտը 4.4 միլիոն դոլար օժանդակություն ստացավ Ուիլյամ Ռայսի ունեցվածքից ՝ 1904 թվականին: Պրինստոնի համալսարանի բարձրակարգ մաթեմատիկոս և աստղագետ Էդգար Օդել Լովետը, նշանակվեց որպես նախագահ: Ամենաբարձր չափանիշների ինստիտուտ հիմնելու համար Լովեթն այցելեց տարբեր երկրներում տեղակայված բարձրագույն ուսումնական հաստատությունների 78 հաստատություններ: Այս ինստիտուտը հետագայում դարձավ Ուիլյամ Մարշ Ռայսի համալսարան 1960 թվականին: Այսօր Ռայսի համալսարանը զբաղեցնում է 285 ակր տարածք ունեցող կամպուսը և տեղավորում է 70 խոշոր շենքեր: Համալսարանը ներառում է ճարտարապետության, ճարտարագիտության, հումանիտար, բնական գիտությունների, հասարակական գիտությունների և երաժշտության դպրոցներ: Բացի այդ, համալսարանում գործում են գիտության և ճարտարագիտության գերժամանակակից լաբորատորիաներ, համակարգչային ծառայությունների ինստիտուտ, արվեստի ինստիտուտ, և միջուկային հետազոտությունների լաբորատորիա: Համալսարանի գրադարանը ՝ Ֆոնդրենի գրադարանը, պարունակում է ավելի քան երկու միլիոն գիրք, երեք միլիոն միկրոձևեր և 16,000 ընթացիկ սերիալներ և պարբերականներ: Ռայսի համալսարանի բակալավրիատների գրեթե մեկ քառորդը ազգային վաստակավոր գիտնականներ են: Համալսարանը առաջին տեղն զբաղեցրեց Ազգային գիտական ​​կրթաթոշակներ ստացող ուսանողների տոկոսով: Համալսարանը կարող է ունենալ $ 3 միլիարդ օժանդակություն, աշխարհի լավագույն հնգյակից մեկը: Ի դեպ, համալսարանը մինչև 1965 թվականը ուսման վարձ չուներ: Ռայսի համալսարանը առաջին տեղն է զբաղեցրել 1600 մասնավոր բուհերի շարքում `« Լավագույն քոլեջի արժեք »անվանակարգում` Կիպլինգերի համալսարանում: Անձնական ֆինանսներ և առաջին հերթին `« շրջանավարտի համար պարտքի նվազագույն չափի »դիմաց U.S. News & World Report.Rice University- ը, լինելով առաջատար հետազոտական ​​համալսարան, տեղակայված է մի քանի միջառարկայական հետազոտական ​​ինստիտուտների տարածքում: Դրանք ներառում են Rice Quantum Institute, Rice Engineering Design and Development Institute, Computer and Information Technology Institute, Center for Nanoscale Science and Technology, and Center for Biological and Environmental Nanotechnology. Շատ արհեստական ​​սրտերի նախնական հետազոտության և զարգացման իրականացվել է Ռայսի ֆակուլտետի կողմից: 1996 թվականին պրոֆեսորներ Ռիչարդ Սմալին և Ռոբերտ Քերլը Ռայսի համալսարանից արժանացել են քիմիայի հեղինակավոր Նոբելյան մրցանակի `ածխածնի 60 մոլեկուլների հայտնաբերման և կիրառման համար (buckminsterfullerenes): Ներկայումս նանոտեխնոլոգիայի թեժ նոր ոլորտում իրականացվում են բազմաթիվ ճանապարհներ բեկող հետազոտական ​​աշխատանքներ:


Ռայսի համալսարան - պատմություն

I. ՊԱՏՄՈԹՅՈՆ

Ուշագրավ չափով Ռայսի համալսարանը ձևավորվեց նրա հիմնադիրների `Ուիլյամ Մարշ Ռայսի և տղամարդկանց այն փոքր խմբի մտադրությունների հիման վրա, ովքեր եկել էին կիսվելու բարձրագույն ուսումնական հաստատության իր ծրագրերով: 1891-ի գարնանը, Մասաչուսեթսի բնակիչ Ռայսը, ով վաճառականում բարգավաճել էր տասնյոթերորդ դարի Հյուսթոնում, որոշեց գրականության, գիտության և արվեստի առաջընթացի ինստիտուտ տրամադրել սպիտակ տղամարդկանց և կանանց ուսուցման համար: Հյուսթոն և Տեխաս. Բացառությամբ աֆրիկյան ծագման ուսանողների այդ հստակ բացառման, Ռայսը ոգեշնչվեց Ֆիլադելֆիայի Ստիվեն iraիրարդի և Նյու Յորքի քաղաքից Պիտեր Կուպերի օրինակներով ՝ ստեղծելու իր անունը կրող ինստիտուտ, որը հետազոտություններ կիրականացնի և ուսուցում կտա առանց ուսման: անկուսակցական և ոչ աղանդավորական մթնոլորտ: Նա ստեղծեց յոթ հոգաբարձուների խորհուրդ ՝ մահից հետո վերահսկելու իր ինստիտուտի շինարարությունն ու կառավարումը: Բայց երբ նա սպանվեց 1900 թվականին, նրա հոգաբարձուների խորհուրդը ՝ կապիտան Jamesեյմս Ա. . 1907 թվականի վերջին, կապիտան Բեյքերը և նրա հոգաբարձուներն ավարտեցին այլ համալսարանների ուսումնասիրությունը և Վիլյամ Մարշ Ռայսի ինստիտուտի առաջին նախագահ ընտրեցին դասական կրթություն ստացած մաթեմատիկոս Էդգար Օդել Լովետին, ով Փրինսթոնի համալսարանի աստղագիտության ղեկավարն էր:

Նախագահ Լովեթը, հոգաբարձուների աջակցությամբ, աստիճանաբար կատարելագործեց նոր ինստիտուտի բնավորությունը: Նա սկսեց ինը ամսվա շրջագայությունը Եվրոպայի և Ասիայի առաջատար համալսարաններում ՝ բարձրագույն կրթությանն անդրադառնալու և Ռայսի համար նշանավոր գիտնականներ հավաքագրելու համար: Նա վերադարձավ համալսարան պլանավորելու համար, որը պարզապես հիանալի կրթություն չէր ապահովի բակալավրիատի համար `կրթություն, որը ներառում էր բարձր ակադեմիական չափանիշներ, բնակելի քոլեջների համակարգ և պատվո ծածկագիր, այլ նաև առաջադեմ հետազոտություններ կիրականացներ և կպատրաստեր դոկտորանտուրայի փոքր թվով ուսանողներ: . Սրանք վեհ ու թանկարժեք ձգտումներ էին: Թեև նվիրատվությունը զգալիորեն աճել էր 1904 թվականից ի վեր, Լովետը գիտեր, որ նա չէր կարող միանգամից ունենալ իր պատկերացրած համապարփակ համալսարանը: Հետևաբար, նա սկզբում պետք է շեշտեր միայն գիտության և ճարտարագիտության մասին: Մինչև 1912 թ. Սեպտեմբերը, երբ հիսունինը ուսանողներ հավաքվում էին դասերի նոր ճամբարում ՝ Հյուսթոնի փողոցներից այն կողմ գտնվող մարգագետինների հարթ տարածքի վրա, Ռայսը ուներ չորս շենք և ուշագրավ տարբերակման միջազգային ֆակուլտետ, ֆակուլտետ, որը ներառում էր Julուլիան Հաքսլին: Օքսֆորդից `կենսաբանություն, Հարոլդ Ա.

Թեև Ռայսը արագ աճեց գրեթե երկու տասնամյակ 1912 -ից հետո, Դեպրեսիայի ընթացքում միջոցների բացակայությունը ստիպեց կրճատումներ կատարել և Ռայսը պահեց փոքր գավառական քոլեջ, որը շեշտը դնում էր գիտության և ճարտարագիտության վրա մինչև Երկրորդ համաշխարհային պատերազմը: Հետո, շատ ավելի մեծ ռեսուրսներ ունեցող առաջնորդները կարողացան նախաձեռնել կայուն աճ գրեթե երեք տասնամյակ ՝ 1970-ին մոտենալով ավելի հավասարակշռված համալսարանին, որը նախագահ Լովեթը նախատեսել էր 1912 թվականին: 1942 թվականին ձեռք բերված և հավակնոտ խորհրդի աջակցությամբ ձեռք բերված նավթահանքերից եկամուտների շնորհիվ: հոգաբարձուներից, Լովետի իրավահաջորդները ՝ Վիլյամ Վ. Հյուսթոնը և Քենեթ Ս. Պիտցերը, կարողացան մեծացնել ֆակուլտետի չափը (1938 թ. 58 -ից մինչև 1970 թ. 350), հավաքագրել շատ ականավոր գիտնականների (ավելի բարձր աշխատավարձով և 1962 թ. հետո նշանակումներ), ստեղծել նոր ակադեմիական բաժիններ և կառուցել մի շարք շենքեր ոչ միայն դասարանների և լաբորատորիաների համար, այլև բնակելի քոլեջների համակարգի համար, որը վերջապես սկսվեց 1957 թ. -ին: ընդունել ավելի շատ ուսանողներ, ընդլայնել ուսումնական պլանը և ավելի մեծ շեշտ դնել հետազոտական ​​և ավարտական ​​ծրագրերի վրա: Բայց փոփոխությունները պահպանելու համար ՝ մրցունակ դառնալու համար որպես ազգային համալսարան, Ռայսը փնտրեց փոփոխություններ իր կանոնադրության մեջ, որը թույլ տվեց 1966 թվականից գանձել համեմատաբար համեստ ուսուցում և ընդունել աֆրոամերիկացի ուսանողների (Ռայսը նախկինում ընդունել էր որպես «սպիտակ» ուսանողներ այլ ցեղեր և ազգային ծագում):

Այդուհանդերձ, երբ 1970 -ին Նորման Հաքերմանը դարձավ նախագահ, նոր ծրագրեր Ռայսի ռեսուրսները հասցրեցին իրենց սահմանների: Հաքերմանը հավասարակշռեց իր բյուջեները, վերակազմավորեց Ռայսը յոթ դպրոցների (կառավարում, ճարտարապետություն, ճարտարագիտություն, հումանիտար գիտություններ, երաժշտություն, բնական գիտություններ և սոցիալական գիտություններ) և օգնեց օժանդակությունը 131 -ից հասցնել 680 միլիոն դոլարի մինչև 1985 թվականը: Գիլիսը կարողացավ հետամուտ լինել Ռայսի ընդլայնման հետագա հավակնոտ ծրագրերին. Հիմնական դասընթացներ բակալավրիատի ուսանողների համար, ֆակուլտետի ավելի շատ անդամների `միջառարկայական հետազոտություններին աջակցելու համար (ինստիտուտների և կենտրոնների միջոցով), լրացուցիչ ասպիրանտուրայի ծրագրեր և յոթ նոր շենք 1985-1997 թվականներին: 1990-ականներին Ռայսը դարձել էր ավելի քան 4000 ուսանող և 450 ֆակուլտետի լրիվ դրույքով աշխատող համալսարան, և դրա շրջանավարտներն ու ֆակուլտետը տարբերվում էին տարբեր ոլորտներում (1978-ից ՝ ֆիզիկայի և քիմիայի Նոբելյան մրցանակներ և գեղարվեստական ​​գրականության Պուլիտցերյան մրցանակ): ): Բայց Ռայսը մնացել է այնպիսին, ինչպիսին այն մտածել էին հիմնադիրները. Համեմատաբար փոքր և մատչելի համալսարան, որը գերազանցություն է ցուցաբերում բակալավրի կրթության, գիտական ​​հետազոտությունների և շրջանավարտների սահմանափակ թվով ծրագրերում:

Ռայսի ներկայիս նախագահ Դեյվիդ Լիբրոնի օրոք համալսարանը բակալավրիատի ընդունելության 30 տոկոս աճ է գրանցել, բարձրացրել է իր միջազգային վարկանիշը, ընդլայնել է իր հետազոտական ​​ձեռնարկությունը և խորացրել է իր ներգրավվածությունը Հյուսթոնի հետ: Ռայսի համալսարանը փոխակերպվել է երկու նոր բնակելի քոլեջների, ֆիզիկայի նոր շենքի, նոր հանգստի կենտրոնի, BioScience Research Collaborative- ի և հասարակական արվեստի ծրագրի հետ, ի թիվս այլ բարելավումների: Այս զարգացումներն արտացոլում են Երկրորդ դարի տեսլականում ամրագրված առաջնահերթությունները, որոնք ծագել են Ռաիսում Նախագահ Լիբրոնի առաջին տարվա ընթացքում դասախոսների հետ քաղաքային ոճի ընդարձակ հանդիպումներից:

Ռայսի համալսարանի պատմության և ճարտարապետության մասին լրացուցիչ մանրամասների համար տե՛ս Boոն Բոլսը Այսքան պատկերացվող համալսարան. Բրնձի համառոտ պատմություն և Jamesեյմս Մորեհեդին Քայլարշավ Ռայսի համալսարանում. Այս գրքերից յուրաքանչյուրը հասանելի է Ռայսի համալսարանի գրախանութում:


Ռայսի համալսարան - պատմություն

Պատմության ամբիոն

Պատմություն սիրող և անցյալը լայնորեն ուսումնասիրելու ազատություն ցանկացող ուսանողները պետք է հաշվի առնեն պատմության մասնագիտությունը:

Դոցենտ հետազոտական ​​ոլորտներ. Հարավային Ասիա, Արևելյան իսլամական աշխարհ, վաղ իսլամական պատմություն, Օսմանյան Մերձավոր Արևելք

Georgeորջ և Նենսի Ռապպ հումանիտար գիտությունների հետազոտման ոլորտների պրոֆեսոր. Chineseամանակակից չինական ինտելեկտուալ պատմություն, ֆեմինիստական ​​տեսություն, գենդեր և սոցիալական գիտություններ

Քեթրին anանոֆ Բրաուն հումանիտար հետազոտությունների ոլորտների պրոֆեսոր. ԱՄՆ արտաքին քաղաքականություն, ԱՄՆ քաղաքական պատմություն, բնապահպանական պատմություն, քաղաքացիական իրավունքներ

Դոցենտ հետազոտական ​​ոլորտներ. Ատլանտյան աշխարհ, աֆրիկյան սփյուռք, ԱՄՆ աֆրոամերիկացի

Սամուել Գ. ՄակՔեն, Պատմության հետազոտման ոլորտների պրոֆեսոր. Modernամանակակից Գերմանիա, Europeամանակակից Եվրոպա, քաղաքականություն, իրավունք և սոցիալական միտք, քաղաքական տնտեսություն և միտք, Europeanամանակակից եվրոպական ինտելեկտուալ պատմություն

Հումանիտար գիտությունների դեկան, Էնդրյու Վ. Մելոն, պատմության պրոֆեսոր

Բարբարա Կիրկլենդ Չիլի Պատմության հետազոտական ​​տարածքների պրոֆեսոր. Միացյալ Նահանգներ և աշխարհ, Մերձավոր Արևելք, արդիականացում և զարգացում, ժամանակակից ԱՄՆ

Սամուել Վ.

Դոցենտ հետազոտական ​​ոլորտներ. Վաղ Աֆրիկա, Ատլանտյան Աֆրիկա, ժամանակակից Աֆրիկա, աֆրիկյան սփյուռք, ստրկություն և ուժեղացուցիչի վերացում

Ուիլյամ Պ. Հոբի Ամերիկյան պատմության պրոֆեսոր, Հարավային պատմության հետազոտական ​​տարածքների ամսագիր. Հարավային պատմություն, Տնտեսական պատմություն, ԱՄՆ -ի բնապահպանական պատմություն

Միջնադարյան և վաղ արդի ուսումնասիրությունների ծրագրի հետազոտական ​​ուղղությունների դոցենտ, միջնադարյան Եվրոպա, միջնադարյան Իբերիա, միջնադարյան սահմանամերձ տարածքներ

Բժշկական հումանիտար գիտություններ, Արևելյան Ասիայի գիտության տեխնոլոգիա և հասարակության ուսումնասիրություններ (STS), բժշկության պատմություն, գիտության պատմություն

Դոցենտ Տնտեսագիտության հետազոտական ​​ոլորտների առընթեր դոցենտ. Մեքսիկայի և Լատինական Ամերիկայի պատմություն, տնտեսական պատմություն, հանրային առողջության պատմություն

Ուիլյամ Գեյնս Թյումեն Պատմության հետազոտական ​​տարածքների պրոֆեսոր. Հին Հունաստան և Հռոմ, ուշ հնություն և վաղ Բյուզանդիա

Արաբա-ամերիկյան կրթական հիմնադրամի արաբագիտության հետազոտական ​​ոլորտների պրոֆեսոր. Արաբական արդի պատմություն, ԱՄՆ-Արաբական հարաբերություններ, Օսմանյան պատմություն, աղանդավորություն

Բաժանմունքի վարիչ Մերի Գիբս onesոնս, հումանիտար գիտությունների պրոֆեսոր, պատմության հետազոտական ​​ոլորտներ. XIX դ.

Հարրիս Մասթերսոն կրտսեր, պատմության հետազոտական ​​տարածքների պրոֆեսոր. Ռիո դե Janeանեյրո, գաղութային Բրազիլիա, Ատլանտյան աշխարհ

Դոցենտ հետազոտական ​​ոլորտներ. Համակարգչային տեխնոլոգիա, տեխնոլոգիայի կիրառում, հաշմանդամություն, քաղաքացիական իրավունքներ

Դոցենտ համանախագահ քաղաքականություն, իրավունք և սոցիալական միտք հետազոտական ​​ոլորտներ. Վաղ արդի Եվրոպա, մտավոր և մշակութային պատմություն, քաղաքական և կրոնական միտք, կրթության պատմություն

Josephոզեֆ և anոաննա Նազրո Մյուլեն Հումանիտար գիտությունների գծով պրոֆեսոր `բակալավրիատի ուսումնասիրությունների հետազոտման ոլորտներ. Իսլամական պատմություն և մշակույթ, 7-15-րդ դարեր Միջին Արևելքի հրեաների ճարտարապետական ​​պահպանության պատմություն իսլամի հողերում, Կահիրե Գենիզա

Պրոֆ.

Պրոֆեսոր Էնդրյու Վ. Մելոնը Հումանիտար գիտությունների հետազոտությունների ոլորտների վաստակավոր պրոֆեսոր. Վաղ Ամերիկայի պատմություն, Ատլանտյան պատմություն, Հարավային պատմություն, raceեղի և ստրկության պատմություն, բնիկ ամերիկյան պատմություն

Դոցենտ հետազոտական ​​ոլորտներ. Իրավաբանական պատմություն, Աշխատանքի պատմություն, Կապիտալիզմի պատմություն, Լատինական Ամերիկայի պատմություն, Մեքսիկայի պատմություն, սահմանամերձ և ներգաղթի պատմություն

Դոցենտ հետազոտական ​​ոլորտներ. Ստրկություն, ստրկություն, էմանսիպացիա և սփյուռք Գլոբալ հարավային քաղաքացիական իրավունքներ, մարդու իրավունքներ և միջազգային իրավունք և կանայք, գենդեր և սեռականություն

Johnոն Էնթոնի Վեյր պրոֆեսոր Հետազոտական ​​ոլորտներ. Modernամանակակից Գերմանիա, եվրոպացի կանայք և սեռը, մարդու իրավունքները, ժամանակակից գաղութատիրությունը

Դոցենտ հետազոտական ​​ոլորտներ. Ամերիկյան հնդկական պատմություն, աֆրոամերիկյան պատմություն, հարավային պատմություն

Բեյքեր քոլեջի գիտության, տեխնոլոգիայի և նորարարության հետազոտական ​​տարածքների ամբիոն. Եվրոպական պատմություն 1450-1815 թվականներին, եվրոպական մտավոր պատմություն գիտական ​​հեղափոխությունից մինչև Ֆրանսիական հեղափոխություն, գերմանական իդեալիզմ և ռոմանտիզմ, գիտության պատմություն, Կոպեռնիկոսից մինչև Դարվին


Ռայսի համալսարան

Ռայսի համալսարանը, մասնավոր, անկախ, համակրթական համալսարան Հյուսթոնում, բացվել է 1912 թվականին որպես Ուիլյամ Մարշ Ռայսի ինստիտուտ: Այն վարձակալվել է 1891 թվականին Հյուսթոնի նախկին վաճառական Ուիլյամ Մարշ Ռայսի կողմից ՝ 200,000 ԱՄՆ դոլար տոկոսադրույքով, որը պետք է վճարվի Ռայսի ինստիտուտին ՝ նրա մահից հետո: Հետագայում Ռայսը ինստիտուտին նվիրեց այլ նվերներ, որոնք բոլորը վճարելի էին նրա մահից հետո: Այնուամենայնիվ, երբ նա մահացավ 1900 թվականին Նյու Յորքում, նրա կամավոր կտակը հուշեց, որ իր կարողությունը պետք է գնա իր փաստաբանին: Լայնածավալ հետաքննությունից և աղմկահարույց դատավարությունից հետո պարզվեց, որ Ռայսի բուտլերը, փաստաբանի հետ համաձայն, Ռայսը քլորոֆորմացրել է մահվան, որպեսզի հավաքի կեղծ կտակով: Երբ գույքը կարգավորվեց 1904 թվականին, մոտավորապես 3 միլիոն դոլար տրամադրվեց ինստիտուտին ՝ որպես առանձին կապիտալ ֆոնդ, որը ավելացվել էր սկզբնական օժանդակությանը, որն աճել էր մինչև գրեթե 3.3 միլիոն դոլար: Այն ժամանակ, երբ համալսարանը բացվեց 1912 թ.-ին, նվիրատվությունը կազմում էր մոտ $ 9 միլիոն, գումար, որը հնարավորություն տվեց բոլոր ուսանողներին համալսարան հաճախել առանց ուսման վարձ վճարելու, արտոնություն, որը չավարտվեց մինչև 1965-ը: գրականության, գիտության և արվեստի առաջընթացի համար »: Հյուսթոնի հոգաբարձուների խորհուրդը որոշեց, որ այն լինելու է համալսարան և 1907 թվականին նախագահ նշանակեց մաթեմատիկոս և աստղագետ Էդգար Օդել Լովետին ՝ Փրինսթոնի համալսարանից, նոր ուղղություններ պլանավորելու ուղղություններով: Համաշխարհային ճանապարհորդություններից, քննարկումներից և դասախոսների հավաքագրումից հետո Լովետը վերահսկեց բացումը 1912 թվականին, որը նշանավորվեց գիտնականների մշակված միջազգային հավաքով: Սկզբից Լովետը մտադիր էր Ռայսը լինել «ամենաբարձր դասարանի» համալսարան, և չնայած 1920 -ականների սկզբին հաջորդած մի քանի տասնամյակ ֆինանսական խստությանը, հաստատությունը ջանում էր պահպանել այդ տեսլականը: Յոթանասունյոթ ուսանողներից բաղկացած դասարանն ուներ տասը միջազգային ֆակուլտետ (օրինակ ՝ Julուլիան Հաքսլին կենսաբանության առաջին պրոֆեսորն էր, իսկ Քեմբրիջի Քևենդիշի լաբորատորիայի Հարոլդ Վիլսոնը ՝ ֆիզիկայի պրոֆեսորը) և երկու հիմնական ակադեմիական շենքեր ( լրացուցիչ շենքերի մշակման ծրագիր) ՝ Բոստոնի հանրահայտ Cram, Goodhue և Ferguson ճարտարապետական ​​ընկերության կողմից: The Ալրաղաց, անկախ ուսանողական թերթ, սկսվեց 1916 թվականին, և նույն թվականին ուսանողական մարմինը ընդունեց Պատվո կանոնագիրը ՝ բրնձի նվիրական ավանդույթը: Մինչև 1924 թվականը առաջին կուրսի ուսանողների թիվը սահմանափակվում էր 450 -ով, և այդ ժամանակվանից բակալավրիատի ընդունելությունը մանրակրկիտ վերահսկվում էր: 1987 -ին դա մոտավորապես 2600 էր: Շրջանավարտների ընդգրկվածությունը աստիճանաբար աճել է ՝ հասնելով մոտ 1,300 -ի:

Լովետի ղեկավարությամբ Ռայսի ինստիտուտը առաջին անգամ զարգացրեց գիտության և ճարտարագիտության բնագավառում հիմնական ուժը, չնայած հումանիտար և ճարտարապետական ​​ոլորտներում ի սկզբանե առաջարկվում էր բարձրակարգ ուսուցում: Ուսումնական ծրագիրն ընդլայնվեց, և ֆակուլտետը մեծապես մեծացավ Երկրորդ համաշխարհային պատերազմից հետո ֆիզիկոս Ուիլյամ Վ. Հյուսթոնի ղեկավարությամբ (1946–60), ինչպես ընդունվեց 1960 -ին անվան փոխումը Ռայսի համալսարան: Մի շարք նոր շենքեր կառուցվեցին աճի երկու ժամանակաշրջաններում ՝ 1940 -ականների վերջին և 1950 -ականների վերջին: Ասպիրանտուրան, որն առկա էր ի սկզբանե, ընդլայնվեց: 1987 թվականին ավելի քան երեսուն ոլորտներում առաջարկվեցին առաջադեմ աստիճաններ: Բարոյական, սոցիալական և տնտեսական հրամայականները հաջողությամբ մղեցին համալսարանին ՝ 1964 թ. Իրավաբանական իշխանություն փնտրելու, որպեսզի խախտեն հիմնադիրի կանոնադրությունը երկու առումով. Հետագա ընդլայնումը, հատկապես հումանիտար և հասարակական գիտությունների ոլորտում, տեղի ունեցավ 1960-70 -ական թվականներին քիմիկոսներ Քեննեթ Ս. 1961 թվականին Ազգային օդատիեզերական և տիեզերական վարչությունը տեղակայեց Տիեզերական թռիչքների կենտրոնը (այժմ ՝ Լինդոն Բ. Johnsonոնսոնի անվան տիեզերական կենտրոն) այն տարածքում, որը հասանելի էր Ռայսի կողմից, և 1962 թվականին համալսարանը ստեղծեց երկրի առաջին տիեզերական գիտության բաժինը: The Հարավային պատմության ամսագիր տպագրվում է Ռայսում 1959 թվականից Անգլերեն գրականության ուսումնասիրություններ հիմնադրվել է Ռայսում 1961 թվականին և Paեֆերսոն Դևիսի զեկույցները նախագիծը գտնվում է Ռայսում 1963 թվականից: 1985 թ. հուլիսին Ռայսի համալսարանի ուսումնասիրություններ (նախկինում Բրնձի ինստիտուտի բրոշյուր, սկսվել է 1915 -ին) դարձավ Ռայսի համալսարանի հրատարակություն: Shepherd Music School- ը և Jesse H. Jones- ի կառավարման դպրոցը ավելացվել են համապատասխանաբար 1973 և 1976 թվականներին:

1985 թ. Հուլիսին Հարվարդի Աստվածության դպրոցի աստվածաբան Georgeորջ Է. Ռապը դարձավ Ռայսի հինգերորդ նախագահը: Երբ նա ստանձնեց համալսարանը, ֆակուլտետը թվով մոտ 420 հոգի էր `4000 -ից փոքր -ինչ քիչ ուսանողներով: Համալսարանն ունի քառասուն ճարտարապետական ​​հետևողական շենքեր, որոնք խմբավորված են քառանկյուններում `նրբագեղ կենդանի կաղնու տակ` 300 ակր տարածքում `Հյուսթոնի սրտում: 1987 -ի նվիրատվությունը կազմում էր ավելի քան 750 միլիոն դոլար, ամենամեծը Հարավային մասնավոր համալսարաններից: Փոքր բակալավրիատի ուսանողական մարմինը ազգի ամենաընտիրներից է, SAT- ի միջին միավորներով ՝ ավելի քան 1,300 և Ազգային արժանիքների կրթաթոշակի հաղթողների ամենաբարձր տոկոսներից մեկը: Ուսանողական մարմինը, որը նախկինում հիմնականում Տեխասից էր, այժմ հիմնականում ոչ տեխասյան է, և համեմատաբար ցածր ուսման վարձը հնարավորություն է տալիս տնտեսապես բազմազան ուսանողական բնակչությանը, սակայն այն, ինչ առավելապես ձևավորում է Ռայսի կերպարը, նրա ուսանողների անսովոր ակադեմիական տաղանդն է: Գրեթե պարադոքսալ է, որ Ռայսը, իր 73,000 տեղանոց մարզադաշտով, շարունակեց աշխատել որպես Հարավ-արևմտյան համաժողովի կանոնադրական անդամ, մինչև որ ավարտվի այս մարզական միությունը: Ոչ մի եղբայրություն կամ ընկերություն չի թույլատրվում: Բոլոր մագիստրանտները նշանակվում են ութ բնակելի քոլեջներից մեկում (համակարգը ստեղծվել է 1957 թ.), Որի շուրջ հանգստի, մշակութային, կրթական և կառավարական գործունեության շուրջ է պտտվում ուսանողական կյանքը: 1993 թվականին տնտեսագետ և Դյուկի համալսարանի դեկան Մալկոլմ Գիլիսը դարձավ վեցերորդ նախագահը:

Ռայսի համալսարանը պահպանում է մի շարք հետազոտական ​​հաստատություններ և լաբորատորիաներ: Ֆոնդրենի գրադարանը պարունակում է ավելի քան 1,3 միլիոն հատոր և 1,6 միլիոն միկրոձև և բաժանորդագրված է մոտավորապես 11,000 սերիական վերնագրերի: Այն պահեստարան է Միացյալ Նահանգների պետական ​​փաստաթղթերի և արտոնագրերի համար և հանդիսանում է մարդահամարի տվյալների համալսարանի մասնաճյուղ: Հազվագյուտ գրքեր, ձեռագրեր և համալսարանի արխիվները պահվում են գրադարանի Վուդսոնի հետազոտական ​​կենտրոնում: Գրադարանը հատկապես ուժեղ է Տեխասի նյութերով, Համադաշնության դրոշմներով և տասնութերորդ դարի անգլիական դրամայով, ինչպես նաև պարունակում է սըր Julուլիան Հաքսլիի թերթերն ու գրադարանը: Երկու հիմնական գիտական ​​հավաքածուներն են Անդերսոնի հավաքածուն Ավիացիոն նավատորմի պատմության և Johnsonոնսոնի տիեզերական կենտրոնի պատմության արխիվների մասին: Համալսարանի կենտրոնական հաշվողական հաստատությունն է Համակարգչային ծառայությունների և ծրագրերի ինստիտուտը: Կան մի շարք այլ հաշվողական սարքավորումներ, որոնք տեղակայված են այլուր կամպուսում: Ռայսը նաև կապված է Հյուսթոնի տարածքի հետազոտական ​​կենտրոնի հետ, կոնսորցիում, որին աջակցում են Ռայսը, Տեխասի համալսարանը, Տեխասի A&M համալսարանը և Հյուսթոնի համալսարանը: Մի շարք միջառարկայական հետազոտական ​​ինստիտուտներ և կենտրոններ տեղակայված են Ռայսի համալսարանում, այդ թվում ՝ Ռայսի քվանտային ինստիտուտը, Բրնձի ինժեներական նախագծման և զարգացման ինստիտուտը և Համակարգչային և տեղեկատվական տեխնոլոգիաների ինստիտուտը: Համայնքի նախագծման և հետազոտությունների բրնձի կենտրոնը, որը գտնվում է համալսարանից դուրս, զբաղվում է քաղաքաշինությամբ: Շարունակական ուսումնասիրությունների գրասենյակը տարեկան առաջարկում է ոչ վարկային հարստացման և տեխնիկական կարճ դասընթացներ հազարավոր Հյուսթոնցիների համար: 1990 թվականին Ռայսը հյուրընկալեց Միացյալ Նահանգների, Կանադայի, Japanապոնիայի և Արևմտյան Եվրոպայի երկրների G-7 ամենամյա տնտեսական համաժողովը: Ռայսի նպատակն էր համատեղել ազատական ​​արվեստի քոլեջի ուսուցման շեշտը գիտական ​​համալսարանի կրթաթոշակի հետ: 1991 -ին Ռայսը առաջին տեղն զբաղեցրեց երկրի լավագույն 100 դպրոցների շարքում ՝ որպես «լավագույն գնում» կրթության ոլորտում: Ռայսի համալսարանն ուներ 462 պրոֆեսորադասախոսական կազմ և 4226 ուսանող 1992–93 -ի կանոնավոր դասընթացների համար, իսկ 723 -ը ՝ 1992 -ի ամառային նստաշրջանի համար:


Ռայսի համալսարան - պատմություն

Oոն Օ'Նիլի հրավեր բրինձ. Գարուն 1965 թ

1965 թվականի գարնանը, Նորմանի Օկլահոմայի համալսարանի Արվեստի դպրոցի իմ գրասենյակում ես ստացա հեռախոսազանգ Էլինոր Էվանսից, որը վերջերս ժամանել էր Ռայսի համալսարանի ճարտարապետության ամբիոնի ուսուցիչ: Էլինորը, հիմնական տեսողական դիզայնով, Յեյլից մագիստրոսի կոչում ստացած նկարիչ, որտեղ սովորել էր Յոզեֆ Ալբերսի մոտ, զանգում էր ինձ ասելու, որ Ռայսը ցանկանում է Գեղարվեստի բաժին հիմնել որպես հումանիտար գիտությունների բնագավառի մաս, և իրեն խնդրել էին խորհուրդ տալ նկարիչ կամ արվեստի պատմաբան լինել նախագահ: Ինձ կհետաքրքրի՞:

Նորմանում, որպես տասնչորս տարի որպես պրոֆեսոր և տնօրեն, Արվեստի դպրոցի տնօրեն, տասնչորս ֆակուլտետ ունեցող դպրոց, 1934 թ. Ավարտական ​​ծրագիր, արվեստի երկու հարյուր մասնագիտություն և հարգված արվեստի թանգարան, փոփոխությունների իմ հետաքրքրությունը մեղմ: Այնուամենայնիվ, ես գրություն ուղարկեցի Ֆիլիպ Ուոդսվորթին, այն ժամանակ Ռայսի հումանիտար գիտությունների դեկան, խնդրելով տեղեկատվություն: Հաջորդեց նամակների փոխանակումը, այնուհետև հեռախոսազանգը Ուոդսվորթից ՝ խնդրելով ինձ գալ Հյուսթոն, որպեսզի հանդիպեմ ճարտարապետության ֆակուլտետի մի քանի անդամների և հարակից առարկաներից: Հանդիպումը ցածր մակարդակի վրա էր, որը մեծ մասամբ անցկացվեց Կոհենի տան ֆակուլտետային ակումբում ճաշից հետո: Իմ Հյուսթոնում մնալու համար սենյակ գտնելը դժվարանում էր, քանի որ այդ ժամանակ ընթանում էին Աստրոդոմեի բացման հանդիսավոր միջոցառումները: Ինձ տեղ հատկացրին Holcombe Street մոթելում, որտեղ օդորակիչն անմիջապես խափանվեց, ուստի Հյուսթոնի վերաբերյալ իմ գնահատականը այս պահին բավականին ցածր էր:

Առաջին ուղևորություն Ռայս

Այցելության ընթացքում ես պարզեցի, որ անցած տարիներին Ռայսի համալսարանում եղել են որոշ գեղարվեստական ​​ուսուցումներ ՝ բոլորը ճարտարապետության ամբիոնի ներսում. Ռայսի և Քորնելի շրջանավարտը, դասավանդեց արվեստի պատմության մի քանի հիմնարար դասընթացներ, ինչպես և asասպեր Ռոուզը, Անգլիայից ժամանած այցելուը, որը մեկամյա հանդիպում էր անցկացնում Ռայսում: Asասպերը մեկնել է 1965 թվականին ՝ ընդունելու Սանտա Կրուսում Կալիֆոռնիայի համալսարանի ուսուցչական անձնակազմի նշանակումը, բայց ոչ շուտ, երբ նա անակնկալի բերեց Ռայսի համալսարանը ՝ իր դասերին ակադեմիական ռեգալիա հագնելով: Մի անգամ իր վառ ու հոսող հանդերձներով քառանկյունով անցնելիս նա հանդիպեց այն ժամանակվա նախագահ Քենեթ Պիտցերին, ով նրան հարցրեց, թե որն է տոնական առիթը: Յասպերը պատասխանեց. «Օ Oh, ես ձևացնում եմ, որ սա համալսարան է»:

Asասպերը նաև նկարչության դասընթացներ էր անցկացնում Ռայսում, և 1964 ուսումնական տարվա վերջում կազմակերպեց արվեստի առաջին ուսանողների ցուցահանդեսը: Ստուդիո տարածքում նա ուներ նաև իր գործընկերոջը ՝ Դեյվիդ Փարսոնսին, որին Hիմի Չիլմանը խորհուրդ էր տվել Հյուսթոնի Գեղարվեստի թանգարանի վաստակավոր տնօրեն, ճարտարապետության ուսանողներին սովորեցնել սկսնակ գծանկարը, ինչպես նաև քանդակագործությունը:

Եթե ​​asասպեր Ռոուզը շատ չէր մտածում Ռայսի մասին որպես համալսարան, ապա դա կարող էր լինել այն պատճառով, որ այն անվանափոխվել էր միայն 1962 թվականին ՝ նախկինում լինելով Ռայսի ինստիտուտը: Նոր հայեցակարգը դանդաղ արմատավորվեց: Գեղարվեստի ամբիոնի (հետագայում ավելի ճշգրիտ անվանումը ՝ Արվեստ և արվեստի պատմություն) հիմնադրման նկատմամբ հետաքրքրությունը համալսարանում չթվաց: Որոշ հին ֆակուլտետի անդամներ իրականում թշնամական էին: Այնուամենայնիվ, ջանքեր էին գործադրվել գտնել համապատասխան տարածք գոնե ժամանակավորապես բաժինը տեղավորելու համար: Քննարկման առարկա էր սննդի ծառայությունների շենքի նկուղը (գաղափարն ի վերջո լքվեց. Ճաշ պատրաստելու հոտը միանում էր յուղաներկի հետ): Համալսարանի ծայրամասում գտնվող տան վարձը կամ գնումը, ինչպես նաև ժամանակավոր պողպատե կառույցի տեղադրումը: Վերջին տարբերակն ընդունվեց վազքուղու մարզադաշտի ստվերում գտնվելու վայրը. Այն պետք է ծառայեր ստուդիայի դասընթացներին: Արվեստի պատմության մեջ պաշտոն արդեն հայտարարված էր և ընդունվեց Ուիլյամ Քեյնի կողմից:

Շրջագայություն համալսարանում

Համալսարանում իմ շրջագայության ընթացքում ես գտա դասախոսությունների սենյակներ և ստուդիայի սենյակներ, որոնք բոլորը գտնվում էին Անդերսոն Հոլում, քաոսային էին. Հին, երբեմն կոտրված կահույքի, աղբի, թղթի փաթաթված և ուսանողների լքված նկարներ: Ամբողջ Ռայսի համալսարանը գրեթե ագրեսիվ հակա-տեսողական էր թվում: Գերտրուդ Շտայնի Jacակ Լիպշիցի բրոնզը, որը վատ է ցուցադրված Ֆոնդրենի գրադարանում, կրում էր արվեստի մեկ ստեղծագործության բեռը գիտական ​​այս գրպանում: Ես վերադարձա Օկլահոմա ՝ հասկանալով, որ չնայած որ Ռայսը գիտության և ճարտարագիտության բնագավառում հիանալի համբավ ուներ, այնուամենայնիվ, արվեստի ցանկացած տարբերություն դժվար թե շահվեր:

Պրոֆեսոր և կերպարվեստի նախագահ նշանակման առաջարկ

Նորման վերադառնալուցս անմիջապես հետո տեղի ունեցավ հեռախոսազանգ, որին հաջորդեց նամակ Դին Ուոդսվորթից. Նա ինձ առաջարկեց նշանակվել որպես պրոֆեսոր և կերպարվեստի ամբիոնի նախագահ: Ես հետաձգեցի որոշումը, մինչև որ կարողանայի առաջարկը քննարկել իմ դեկանի ՝ դոկտոր Դոնալդ Քլարկի հետ: Ես կարծում էի, որ Ռայսը կարիք ունի այն օգնության, որին ես զգում էի իրավասու տալու, և ինձ համար պլան կազմվեց, որ ես մեկ տարվա արձակուրդ վերցնեմ Օկլահոմայից և գնամ Ռայս որպես այցելու և նախագահի ժամանակավոր պաշտոնակատար ՝ հեռանալով այս պաշտոններից, երբ գերատեսչությունը ստեղծվել էր: . Ռայսը համաձայնեց ծրագրին:

Riամանում ՝ որպես կերպարվեստի ամբիոնի առաջին նախագահ

1965 թվականի աշնանային կիսամյակում հայտնվեց Գեղարվեստի ամբիոնը և հաստատվեց հիմնական ծրագիրը: Ուսուցչական կազմը Քեթրին Բրաունն էր, Դեյվիդ Պարսոնսը, Ուիլյամ Քեյնը, Jamesեյմս Չիլմանը և ես: Այդ երեք բավականին մռայլ գերատեսչական գրասենյակները ՝ մեկը պատուհանով, երկուսը ՝ առանց, մեզ հանձնվեցին Ֆոնդրենի գրադարանի նկուղում: Նկարչության և նկարչության ստուդիայի դասընթացները սկսվեցին ժամանակավոր պողպատե շենքում, որը գտնվում էր ճահիճում: Քաջ ուսանողներից մեկը ՝ Փոլ Փֆայֆերը, կրտսերը, որոշեց ռիսկի դիմել արվեստի մասնագիտությամբ:

Սկսվում է ֆակուլտետի որոնումը

Սկսվեց ստուդիայի լիաժամ հրահանգչի որոնումը, ինչպես նաև Բիլլ Քեյնի փոխարինումը, որը հրաժարվել էր պրիմիտիվ աշխատանքային պայմաններից, ռեսուրսների աղքատությունից, խոնավությունից, տաք կլիմայից և այդ տարի առաջացած վրիպակներից, որոնք դրդել էին մեկ ուսանողի: անվանել համալսարանը ՝ Ուիլյամ Ռայսի ճահիճը: Boots, umbrellas, and raincoats became necessary student paraphernalia.

Applications arrived for both the art history and studio positions. We invited portfolios of their work from fourteen artists, and narrowed the art history search to Martha Caldwell, who was eventually appointed. During the search, a new wing for Fondren Library was under construction. During the spring semester of 1966, a violent storm sent fourteen inches of water into our basement offices, inundating and ruining work in the artists’ portfolios—we had little furniture and storage space at the time the floor served as a convenient table. Slides and books belonging to Kane, Brown, and Chillman were also water soaked. When the waters subsided, we also discovered that a group of Henry Miller watercolors, given to us just a week before by the architecture department, had been washed bone clean.

Insurance covered the losses, but paying claims spread over an entire year. All the studio applicants had to be informed, and asked to state the value of their destroyed work—some, it seemed, hadn’t sold much and thought the event to be a personal bonanza!

Professor Havens Joins the Department of Fine Arts

When something resembling normalcy appeared, Neil Havens, the director of Rice Players, came in to inform us that the English Department was releasing him so that he could join the Fine Arts faculty.

The Department's First Move

President Pitzer, taking on our recent soggy state, said we would be moved to the second floor of Allen Center, the business office, as soon as that building was complete. I asked for the space there to include a departmental art gallery, together with a small budget to purchase works of art to form a teaching collection both requests were approved.

The Second Annual Student Art Exhibition

The second annual art students’ exhibition was staged at the Rice Memorial Center (RMC) it seemed to signal a change in the visual atmosphere of the campus. However, at the end of the spring 1966 semester, the department was still struggling to develop I therefore petitioned Oklahoma for a one-year extension of my leave, since I couldn’t face leaving so many loose ends at Rice. This, too, was approved.

Arrival to Allen Center

In the fall of 1967, we moved to new quarters in Allen Center a set of small offices, but the gallery was a clean, luminous space. The initial exhibition was attended by Houston notables, including Oveta Culp Hobby. Six exhibitions were staged for the first season, including those of the California painter John Tomas, ink drawings by Dorothy Hood (one of which, later stolen, had been given to the department by Meredith Long) photography by Geoff Winningham selected form his masters’ exhibition at the School of Design in Chicago, and concluding with the third annual student show, which caused some campus ripples. Jim Simmons, head of Buildings and Grounds, objected fiercely to an overflow of student work being shown in the halls of Allen Center, which forced us to stay within the gallery limits.

Department Faculty

The contract for Martha Caldwell was not renewed we searched for a replacement. Earl Staley, a recent MFA graduate of the University of Arkansas, was appointed to teach printmaking and drawing, the printmaking equipment having already been purchased. The slide collection was begun with Juwil Topazio as curator. In the past, only large class lantern slides in black-and-white were used for lectures. Winningham, then teaching at the University of St. Thomas, was employed to photograph the glass slides and reduce them to a 35mm format.

A decision had to be made about my pending return to Oklahoma. Dr. Pitzer was very persuasive in encouraging me to remain permanently at Rice, and after a difficult time of indecision, I agreed to do so. He had assured me that future building plans included a new structure to house Art and Architecture. Such a plan was actually drawn, but rejected because of the then excessive cost of seven million dollars. An alternative, but temporary, space for Art was then included in the planning of Sewall Hall, a gift of Blanche Sewall. At this stage, Dr. Pitzer was offered the presidency of Stanford University, which he accepted. Fine Arts was thus abandoned to its fate by a powerful friend.

Although I found Rice University a sterile, even bleak environment, Houston itself showed stirrings of a vigorous cultural life: The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, under James Johnson Sweeney staged superb exhibitions in the grand space of Cullinan Hall the University of St. Thomas history of art program and its extraordinary fine exhibitions directed by Dominique de Menil with the support of her husband John gave a unique and blazing life to the intellectual and cultural milieu. Rice could only dream of achieving a parallel art order. There was also the courageous Contemporary Arts Museum, housed in a small building on the Prudential Insurance grounds. Sebastian “Lefty” Adler arrived in 1966 to direct it in a series of spirited exhibitions. The Houston Symphony, the Houston Grand Opera, and the Alley Theater were well established and supported. Commercial galleries such as Kiko and Louisiana & Bute were appearing. There was a very heady feeling in Houston that almost anything of worth in the arts could be accomplished, and with enthusiasm.

Art in the Department of Fine Arts

A few gifts to the department appeared, the first from the estate of the portrait painter Tamera de Kuffner, mostly decorative objects—furniture, silverware, and crystal—that went to enhance Cohen House interior.

In 1967-68, the departmental gallery began its second season. Sometime that year, there were rumors that the de Menils were dissatisfied with certain aspects of their role at the University of St. Thomas. Shortly thereafter, Dean Tapazio came to me with the startling news that John and Dominique de Menil had proposed that the entire spectrum of art activity at St. Thomas be shifted to Rice University, a wedding without precedent. The shift would include the group of four art historians, as well as the art library, the slide collection and curator, the exhibition program with its technical staff, the photography and film program (designated not very happily “media”) with two instructors, plus generous funds to fuel the various activities. We were enthusiastic, but some Rice administrators observed that the de Menils “had a poor track record” in educational support and that the proposed merger was “unprecedented,” as indeed it was.

Jean and Dominique de Menil Arrive on Campus

Thus began months of negotiation, sometimes on campus, but frequently at the de Menil residence on San Felipe, at dinner parties, at the faculty club, and at the then Criterion Club. There were many sticking points: there was no room at Rice for such a large group of people with attendant equipment, Sewall Hall, with one portion planned to house a small art department and a departmental gallery, would be inadequate. Many of the de Menil proposals were extraordinary: at one point John de Menil asked me to go to the president and ask him to stop the Sewall Hall construction, a structure which at that time was rising above ground! The request was, of course, refused by me, but John nonetheless offered to erect another building, a true art center, to be designed by a distinguished architect. For the immediate solution, however, he wanted to build a temporary structure, brick faced, to be situated near Fondren Library. The Board rejected this because the architectural style was in conflict with the Rice tradition. The longer-term plan was then followed, and a de Menil invitation to Louis Kahn, brought back a second time by Rice, produced a few preliminary sketches by him. A short time later, Kahn, dead of a heart attack in New York, brought a great dream to an end.

To help solve the space problem, we decided to close the gallery temporarily in order to create office space for the St. Thomas group, and the de Menils finally decided to build two temporary structures, of neutral design, at a point distant from the main campus. One in time was referred to as The Barn, which housed exhibitions, work space, and some studio space next door, but not quite a clone, was the Media Center. Dominique de Menil, who had been art chair at St. Thomas, became at Rice the director of the Institute for the Arts, created especially for her.

A frenzy of activity ensued. Moved to the Rice campus were art historians William Camfield, Mino Badner, Philip Oliver-Smith, and Walter Widrig. Juwil Topazio graciously resigned her slide curator post which was then given to Pat Toomey. John de Menil wanted Gerald O’Grady and Geoff Winningham to teach in the Media program, but strong objections by the Rice English faculty blocked the appointment of O’Grady, a Chaucerian scholar who had been given three teaching awards at Rice, but had been denied tenure for reasons unclear. O’Grady did not go down to defeat quietly. After one of several conferences with Dean Topazio, he was described as being “a windmill of words.” I had enrolled in a film course at St. Thomas with O’Grady and thought him an unusually fine instructor, the flow of language put to good use.

1969 was a year of upheaval on campus, as on other campuses. A new president to replace Pitzer, Dr. William H. Masterson—a former Rice faculty member—faced a protest to the appointment by a united student and faculty group. Masterson sensibly decided to forfeit the appointment. National protests also against the war in Vietnam resulted here in a brief occupation by students of Allen Center.

Earl Staley’s appointment at the termination of his three-year contract was not renewed. Earl had been hired as a printmaker, but decided he wanted to teach painting instead, and since he was a young artist without many credentials, the department decided to look for a replacement. Before his departure, I had asked Earl to have a solo show on campus—this was before the gallery opened. The exhibition was staged in the Hamman Hall lobby the work was vigorous and somewhat erotic, and accompanied the Rice Players presentation of Edward Albee’s Tiny Alice. A poster commemorated both events.

The Institute for the Arts

The Institute for the Arts held its first exhibition, a marvelous one titled, “The Machine,” co-sponsored by the Museum of Modern Art. Shortly thereafter, the Media Center (actually part of the Fine Arts Department) began giving courses in film with James Blue as instructor. In order to inaugurate the center, John de Menil had proposed that a new film by Andy Warhol be previewed by the faculty, students, administrators, and staff in the Grand Hall of the Rice Memorial Center. This was done. The film was “Lonesome Cowboys,” which in the atmosphere of 1969 might have been considered titillating. Warhol and attendant “family” members, Ultra Violent and others, paraded in front of the audience before the film began. The following day, several members of the administration called on me in my office. The usual reaction to the film event ranged from dislike to distaste. These opinions also applied to the notion of any art activity at all on campus, expressed in such questions as “Mr. O’Neil, just what do you have in mind for the future of the Fine Arts Department?” My answer to that was: “A vital and vigorous creative and scholarly discipline, open to the examination of all ideas in the visual arts, and the study and interpretation of the history of art.” The then dean of the graduate area, however, rather stubbornly insisted that “art doesn’t belong at Rice because student accomplishment cannot be accurately graded.” (!)

Dominique de Menil, Dan Tapazio, and myself were appointed as a trio to make decisions about how that future of the arts could be realized. At my request, Dominique and I met in order to prepare a budget proposal for the coming year, and then submit it to Tapazio. Dominique seemed genuinely surprised when I asked her to put together a budget for the Institute for the Arts major exhibition program. She replied, “we always just pay for whatever expenses there are.” I realized then that the future, at least for several years, was going to be a wild ride.

Plans for a Move to New Facilities in Sewall Hall

Plans for Sewall Hall had to be revised in order to make room for the increased number of faculty and staff. Space needed to be found for the arriving Art Library and the de Menil teaching collection. Even though a small, but pleasant, departmental gallery was provided, together with an adjacent loading dock, storage areas, and both a freight elevator and a passenger elevator, none of the dozens of people who pored over the blue-prints ever realized that there was no connection above ground between the two wings of the building, nor was this critical fact mentioned by the architects. Thus the Fine Arts area, with the exception of sculpture and gallery, emerged elevatorless.

Rice Media Center

The Rice University Media Center, an integral part of the arts at Rice University, was founded in 1969 by international art patrons Jean and Dominique de Menil, with scholar Gerald O'Grady as a consultant. The founders' intent was, essentially, that the Rice Media Center building provide a channel through which different peoples of the world could communicate. The legendary vision of the de Menil family was fulfilled by the creation of the Rice Media Center building, the Department of Art and Art History and Institute for the Arts which today exists as the Department of Visual and Dramatic Arts , Department of Art History and the Rice Cinema Program.


The Rice Media Center and the Institute of the Arts buildings were designed by Houston architect Eugene Aubrey who, at the time, was partnered with architect Howard Barnstone (Barnstone and Aubrey). During the early design stages, Rice scholar Gerald O'Grady met and consulted with Aubrey on the design of the Rice Media Center building. The de Menil's vision for the center was to use the media of film and photography and art as an educational tool in both research and teaching, and to unite different branches of education. The official opening of the Media Center was held in February 1970. Andy Warhol, during a visit that same year, planted a tree with Dominique de Menil's assistance in front of the Institute for the Arts. The Institute building is now the Glasscock School of Continuing Studies and the Rice Media Center building is now occupied by the Department of Visual and Dramatic Arts. Both buildings and the Warhol tree remain on the Rice Campus to this day, another tremendous gift to the City of Houston and University, from the de Menils.

Film at the Rice Media Center--the Early Years

The ideas surrounding the creation of a space like the Rice Media Center attracted filmmakers who were interested in observational cinema, or cinéma vérité, (the Direct Cinema movement) which is an important impetus to the development of Visual Anthropology today. Among those who engaged the Rice community were Colin Young, then Dean of Arts at UCLA, and renowned filmmaker and director of the Italian School, Roberto Rossellini, along with Frantizek Daniel, renowned director of the Prauge Film School, who each visited the Media Center to conduct meetings and workshops periodically in order to engage and introduce students, faculty and community to this new wave of filmmaking.

In 1970-1971 David MacDougall, who had studied under Colin Young, came to Rice as an ethnographic filmmaker from UCLA. Additionally, the de Menils also brought a young documentary filmmaker to Houston to co-direct the center, Academy Award nominee James Blue. Blue and MacDougal encouraged students of all disciplines to see themselves as filmmakers, and they brought a regular flow of visiting directors to campus. Under the co-directorship of Blue and MacDougall, along with Menil support, the Rice Media Center received federal grants to purchase 8mm film and editing equipment with the intent for it to be made available to use by the public.

During this period, MacDougall and Blue received a Guggenheim fellowship and a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities to make one of the most well-known ethnographic documentary films entitled Kenya Boran at the Rice Media Center . Both MacDougall and Blue were Co-Directors of the Media Center until 1975 when MacDougal left to become Director of the Film Unit at the Australian Institute of Aboriginal Studies .

Teaching and fiscal operations of the Media Center became part of the Art and Art History Department soon after this period. Brian Huberman, Associate Professor, was recruited by James Blue from the National Film and Television School, U.K. in 1975. Together Huberman and Blue taught courses in production and collaboratively and independently produced several documentary films until Blue's departure in the late 1970's. Brian Huberman's film work includes To Put Away the Gods (1983), The Making of John Wayne's THE ALAMO (1992) and most recent film The De la Peña Diary (2003) . Huberman's filmmaking and teaching continues to this day for the Department of Visual and Dramatic Arts.

Photography at Rice Media Center-Early Years

As a part of the strong interest in an observational style, a documentary image -language, Geoff Winningham was recruited by Gerald O'Grady from the University of St. Thomas in 1969, to come to Rice University to teach photography. During the early years of the Rice Media Center opening (1969-70) brought some very important photographers such as Robert Frank, John Szarkowski, Aaron Siskind, Frederick Sommer, and others to the Rice Media Center for a lecture series. The series included an exhibition of over 60 photographs, on loan just for this show from the Museum of Modern Art, New York (where Jean de Menil was a trustee at the time). Over the years, Professor Geoff Winningham has produced several films and authored many books including Friday Night in the Coliseum (1971), Going Texan (1972) and Rites of the Fall (1978) and his most recent book, Along the Forgotten River (2003). He continues his photography work and teaching for the Department of Visual and Dramatic Arts to this day.

Rice Cinema

For more than 35 years , the Rice Cinema has continued to screen films from around the world—foreign features, shorts, documentaries, and animation. Rice Cinema reaches beyond the university's hedges to the diverse communities of Houston. We offer a living alternative to the monolithic commercial cinema of Hollywood and have screened films from every continent. Among the internationally known filmmakers who have appeared on our campus over the years include Werner Herzog, Rakhshan Banietemad, Atom Egoyan, Shirin Neshat, Martin Scorsese, Andy Warhol, George Lucas, Fernando E. Solanas, Albert Maysles and Dennis Hopper.

Rice Cinema works in concert with our academic programs to enrich our students' undergraduate experience. Our film students are provided state-of-the-art screening facilities to examine and study the historical and methodological aspects of movies from around the world in 16, 35, or 70 millimeter with Dolby Digital Sound. Film production students can showcase their work during the academic year on our new silver screen in recently renovated projection facilities.


Come experience art at 24 frames per second at the Rice Cinema. Rice Cinema operates during the academic year screening films almost every weekend. To find out what is playing, call the informational telephone line at 713-348-4853

Rice Cinema: Celebrating Almost 50 Years of Notable Guests

(Excerpts from these passages below have been taken from an article by Lia Unrau of Rice News on 9/14/95)

In the early '70s,' Andy Warhol premiered his violent Lonesome Cowboys to the largest Media Center audience in history. Italian neo-realist director Michelangelo Antonioni, known for Blow Up screened his work, as did Martin Scorcese and Milos Forman. A promising young director named George Lucas showed his original version of THX 1138.

Also in the '70s, The Big Parade director King Vidor, a Galveston native, told students and audiences about the silver screen, and George Stevens (Giant) and Frank Capra (It's a Wonderful Life) passed on insight from their experiences during some 30 years in the business.

Audiences leaned back and looked to the ceiling as two avant-garde experimenters, Ed Emschwiller and Stan Vanderbeek, projected psychedelic images over head it was, after all, the '70s.

The early '80s brought a strange Dennis Hopper. Following his"performance," in which he refused to come out on stage and the audience watched on video monitors as he spoke from behind stage, (witnesses aren't sure what he spoke about), he invited the sell-out crowd to watch as he blew himself up in the Russian Dynamite Death Chair Act.

Sam Peckinpah, well-known for his westerns, like The Wild Bunch, made the last public appearance of his career at Rice. At the time, his films were controversial in terms of violence, but they might seem mild by today's standards.

British director Richard Lester visited campus to reflect about the Beatles during filming of A Hard Day's Night and Help, and ended up running the camera for George Rupp's presidential inauguration in 1985.

In 1987 Isabella Rossellini participated in a retrospective of her father's work. While Roberto Rossellini was at Rice he set to work on a film for television called Science, based on the work of Rice scientists, scheduled to be 10 hours long. Although frames exist, the project was never completed.

In 1991, Spike Lee and his whole family rolled up in a limousine to sneak preview Do the Right Thing. Lee led an emotionally charged discussion with the sell-out crowd following the film.


1960s

Rayzor Hall

Rayzor Hall was designed by Staub, Rather & Howze. Named for lawyer, towing company executive and alumnus trustee J. Newton Rayzor '17 and his wife Eugenia Porter Rayzor, the building housed School of Humanities until the Humanities Building was built in 2000. The building now houses the Center for Languages and Intercultural Communication.

Brown College - “The Tower”

With Jones College being the only all women's college on campus, there was a severe housing shortage for Rice women in the 60's. Through the generous donation of George R. Brown and his wife Alice Pratt Brown, a new women's residential college was established in the memory of their sister-in-law, Margarett Root Brown. The original building became known as “The Tower” after Brown College was expanded in 2002.

Rice Health Center (Formerly Brown College Commons)

The original building of the Brown College Commons, located next to the dormitory tower, served as the College’s dining hall for nearly 50 years. However, when Brown College expanded in 2002, a new commons was built and the original commons became the building for the Rice Health Center.

Ryon Engineering Laboratory

Designed by architects Wirtz, Calhoun, Tungate & Jackson, Ryon Engineering Laboratory was built with a gift from Lewis B. Ryon, Jr., professor emeritus of civil engineering, and his wife Mae E. Ryon. When it comes to concrete batching and curing, strength testing, welding and machining, Ryon Lab has been the go-to place for Rice’s civil, environmental and mechanical engineering faculty and students.

Oshman Engineering Design Kitchen (Formerly Hicks Kitchen)

Hicks Kitchen was originally the central food-service kitchen on campus, but then became storage space after North and South Kitchen Serveries were built in 2002. In 2009, Hicks Kitchen was completely renovated with a generous gift from Rice University alumnus and trustee M. Kenneth Oshman ’62 and his wife Barbara to established the Oshman Engineering Design Kitchen (OEDK). The OEDK includes conference rooms, a classroom, a wet lab, rapid prototyping equipment, large-format printers, a designated woodworking area, a machine shop and access to a welding shop, providing engineering students with the space and resources to complete their design projects. The OEDK is the first renovated building on campus to be LEED Gold-Certified.

Space Science and Technology Building

Immediately following former President John F. Kennedy space exploration address in Rice Stadium in 1662, Rice became the first university to establish a space science department. The Space Science and Technology building was built a few years later to house the department.

Allen Center

Designed by architects Lloyd, Morgan & Jones, the Allen Business Center honors Rice donor and governor Herbert Allen and his wife Helen Allen. In 1987, Trustees authorized a 4th-floor expansion. The Allen Business Center houses the President’s Office.

Herman Brown Hall for Mathematical Sciences

Funds by the Brown Foundation and from a National Science Foundation Systems Grant, the Herman Brown Hall for Mathematical Sciences is named for Trustee George R. Brown's elder brother and business partner. Architects George Pierce and Abel B. Pierce designed the building.

Lovett College

Named after Rice's first president, Edgar Odell Lovett College is a six-story residential dorm with distinctive brutalist architecture. The concrete grating that surrounds the third, fourth, and fifth floors is a design feature intended to make Lovett riot-proof in reaction to the student riots of the late 1960’s. This grating now protects Lovett students from hurricanes, allowing the students of Lovett College to remain in their rooms through both Hurricane Rita and the most recent Hurricane Ike.


MOB History and Traditions

The Rice Owl Band was formed by 12 students in 1916 and was built upon interest in band activities and the reading of band literature. The band increased to about 50 members when Lee Chatham became director in 1922. During this period, however, there were few high school bands, and so the main body of membership was supplied through civic or municipal bands and private teachers.


The Rice Band in 1916

Following Mr. Chatham’s retirement in 1938, Mr. Kit Reid became director. During the period of World War II, the supply of band personnel was very unstable, so toward the end of the war, Hugh Saye and Dick Kincheloe formed a band of Navy cadets under the V-12 program. This group was supplemented by civilians from the student body. After the war, the band was reorganized and the first women, four majorettes, were added to the previously all-male organization. Neel Cotton completed the academic year as director following Mr. Reid’s retirement in 1950.

In 1951, Holmes McNeely became director and instituted a building program of both equipment and personnel. Mr. McNeely was the first to offer a number of band scholarships to students involved with the Rice Owl Band. At this time, women musicians were added to the band for the first time. Upon the retirement of Mr. McNeely in 1967, Mr. Bert Roth took charge of the band activities. In the fall of 1968, every qualified member of the Rice Owl Band was given a work scholarship in recognition of their participation.

In 1970, the Rice Owl Band broke with tradition and introduced timely and sometimes controversial topics into their halftime activities. With their tongues firmly planted in their cheeks, the band parodied politics, life at Rice, and other members of the Southwest Conference, using the brains that Rice is famous for, rather than brawn. The band also gradually stopped marching at this time and began the “scattering” that it is now famous for. This type of entertainment proved popular with band members as well as with the student body.


Angry A&M fans after the 1973 show

Dr. Ken Dye took over the director’s job in 1980. By emphasizing musical quality and contemporary show design, the band (now called the Marching Owl Band, or MOB) was able to entertain a larger audience. His first year marked the beginning of the jazz ensemble and the granting of credit for the concert band. In 1982, Dye updated the MOB’s uniforms, and the MOB donned their trademark gray felt fedoras for the very first time.


Ken Dye with the MOB

Dr. Dye’s tenure at Rice saw MOBsters perform at the Opening Ceremonies of the 1984 Olympics, the 1985 Presidential Inauguration, the 1986 Statue of Liberty Celebration and U.S. Olympic Festival, and the 1993 Carnivale in Nice, France. Dr. Dye believed that travel was an important part of any major college band. During his time as MOB director, the band took trips to places as far afield as Notre Dame and the campuses of all three U.S. Service Academies. The MOB also took shorter trips to SMU, TCU, and Tulane University.

Dr. Dye’s single greatest legacy lies with his tremendous talent for arranging music for bands. During his time at Rice, he arranged literally hundreds of tunes for the MOB to perform. Our music library overflows with his first-class arrangements of many rock, jazz, and blues standards. When it comes to playing great music, the MOB has long been among the best college bands in the country — a tradition that it will uphold for years to come.

In spring 1995, Willy’s Pub and the MOB Bandhall were destroyed in a fire that gutted much of the Rice Memorial Center. Luckily enough, however, the MOB was already planning a move to the newly-refurbished basement of the Campus Central Kitchen Building (now the OEDK). Although a new band hall was in place, the MOB had to rebuild from nearly zero — new instruments, equipment, office supplies, computers, and uniforms all had to be bought in the summer of 1995 in time for the 1995-96 season.


Evolution of MOB uniforms

In 1997, Dr. Dye left Rice to rebuild the band program at the State University of West Georgia, a position he held for only one year before moving on to a directorship at Notre Dame University in the fall of 1998. Mr. Sean Williams was hired in the summer of 1997 to serve the MOB and the Rice Band Department as interim director until a permanent replacement for Dye could be found. That replacement was Dr. Robert Cesario, who came to us in the fall of 1998 from Tulsa, OK. After four years, Dr. Cesario resigned from the position of Director of Rice Bands in the summer of 2002.

The MOB is currently under the leadership of Mr. Chuck Throckmorton, who has been with us since 2002.


Chuck at a 2017 rehearsal

In spring 2017, the MOB moved into its new band hall on the south end of the football stadium, leaving its old shared location in a gym in the back of Tudor behind. The hall was officially named the John “Grungy” Gladu Band Hall in fall 2017.

School music

Rice’s Honor
“Rice’s Honor” was adapted from the “Our Director March” in the 1922, with lyrics by Ben H. Mitchell 󈧜. It served as Rice’s unofficial alma mater for 40 years before being officially established as such in the 1960s as such.

All for Rice’s honor, we will fight on.
We will be fighting when the day is done.
And when the dawn comes breaking,
We’ll be fighting on, Rice, for the Gray and Blue.
We will be loyal, to Rice be true.

Fight Song
The Rice Fight Song was written by Louis Girard 󈧭 and Harry Girard and premiered in 1940. Although originally intended to replace “Rice’s Honor” as the school’s alma mater, it was much more popular among students as a fight song, leaving “Rice’s Honor” in the role of alma mater.

Fight for Rice, Rice fight on,
Loyal sons arise.
The Blue and Gray for Rice today
Comes breaking through the skies.
Fight, fight, fight!
Stand and cheer, Vict’ry’s near,
Sammy leads the way.
Onward go! to crush the foe,
We’ll fight for Blue and Gray.

Bonnet
Bonnet was written in the 󈨀s by Harvin C. Moore 󈧟 and Barry Moore 󈨂 to the 1909 tune “Put on Your Old Grey Bonnet” and became a popular tune at football games.
30-second Bonnet is the tune compressed into 30 seconds and is performed at basketball games.

Louie Louie
“Louie Louie” is the MOB’s personal fight song/theme song based on the 1963 Kingsmen hit. The MOB first performed it in a show against TCU in 1981, and now plays it at every football game.

News and Upcoming Events:


To limit how many people are using the band hall at a time, please check the band hall availability calendar before using the band hall.


10 Fun Facts about Rice University

1. Nearly half of all Rice students are from out of state.

2. The wall at the entrance of Rice’s architecture building is known as the Frog Wall for the croaking frog noises it makes if you run your fingers over the holes.

3. All students are required to finish two P.E. type classes of Lifetime Physical Activity Program, or LPAP, before graduation.

Browse Successful Application Files

New Posts

In this second part of his two-part series, college admissions coach Justin Taylor explains key admissions lessons from 2020, an unprecedented year of firsts, that can help you strategize as we enter into this next application.

In Part one of this two-part series, college admissions coach Justin Taylor explains key lessons about 2020, “a year like no other,” that could seriously boost your chances in 2021, including smarter list building and transcript GPA.

We are so excited to announce that for this year’s scholarship, we selected five scholarship winners to maximize the impact of our $5,000 college scholarship prize money.

For students who can knock their college essays out of the park, the pandemic presents a unique writing opportunity (but not as an essay topic).

The recent killings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and Ahmaud Arbery, among so many others in the Black community who have been robbed of their lives over the years by the brutal and fatal use.


Facts about Rice University 1: level of research

The research activity in Rice University is very high. In 2011, the research earned the funding of $115.3 million from the sponsor.

Facts about Rice University 2: the applied science programs

Applied science is the main program in Rice University. It covers a number of fields such as signal processing, artificial heart research, nanotechnology, space science, and structural chemical analysis.

Facts about Rice University


Rice University - History

The Rice NROTC Unit was officially inaugurated in September 1941, making it the second NROTC Unit formed in Texas. The first Commanding Officer was CAPT Dallas D. Dupre, a World War I veteran who had graduated from the Naval Academy in 1915.

The unit building was newly made and prepared for the first class of midshipmen when the program began in 1941, with 110 spots available for freshmen and sophomore students at Rice to apply for. The program continued to expand, and only a year later, in 1942, had 198 midshipmen. The unit was heavily involved with the rice community on campus. Initially created in addition to the ROTC Program was the Navy Club, which was meant to increase camaraderie and instill the good ideals of the navy into midshipmen. Members also created the Navy Orchestra, which played at events around campus. The unit midshipmen also ran a publication called the Rice Broadside, which included news from the company, as well as thoughts about current events, such as the excerpt below, from an issue during WW2. Midshipmen also found uses for the physical demands of the navy - many of the Marine options were members of the Rice football team as well. In 1943, Rice University was selected to participate in the V-12 Commissioning Program for World War II with an initial input of 530 students. In February 1944, the unit commissioned its first class of graduates in all, 80 men were commissioned as officers in the U.S. Navy or Marine Corps. By July 1946, the V-12 Program had ended and the unit shrunk to 32 students. Today, the unit consists of cross-town affiliates at Texas Southern University, the University of Houston, and Houston Baptist University. It has commissioned over 900 officers into the Navy and Marine Corps since the end of World War II.

The Prairie View A&M University Unit was established in March 1968 and was the first NROTC unit established at a Historically Black College or University. In May 1970, the first class of 13 midshipmen were commissioned into the Navy and Marine Corps. By 1979, the unit had commissioned over 100 officers into the naval service. In August 1992, the Prairie View A&M University Unit joined with the Rice University Unit to form the NROTC Houston Consortium. To date, the unit has commissioned over 400 officers into the Navy and Marine Corps.